网站首页
联系我们
论坛帮助
   登陆 注册 搜索 自选风格 论坛状态 论坛展区 我能做什么

>> 战争有关的模型、收藏品、游戏、电影、电视、文学等等……
战争研究论坛休闲区[战争周边] → [分享]506st IN 1942-1944

发表一个新主题  发表一个新投票  回复主题 您是本帖的第 8022 个阅读者浏览上一篇主题  刷新本主题   树形显示贴子 浏览下一篇主题
 * 贴子主题: [分享]506st IN 1942-1944 保存该页为文件  报告本帖给版主  显示可打印的版本  把本贴打包邮递  把本贴加入论坛收藏夹  发送本页面给朋友  把本贴加入IE收藏夹 
 亚典波罗 男,离线

头衔:3号MT板甲贼
  等级:上尉
  文章:639
  金钱:5710
  注册:2005-12-17
给亚典波罗发送一个短消息 把亚典波罗加入好友 查看亚典波罗的个人资料 搜索亚典波罗在[战争周边]的所有贴子 点击这里发送电邮给亚典波罗 引用回复这个贴子 回复这个贴子楼主
[分享]506st IN 1942-1944
电骡确实素好东西,挖到一篇不错的东西,不过纯鸟语,需要寻找翻译的苦工啊!

History of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment 1942-1944

The 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment was different than the 501st and 502nd Parachute Infantry Regiments, as the men of this regiment were absorbed right from the induction centers. Of the 500 officers who volunteered for the 506th, only 148 came through the intense training and of the 5300 enlisted volunteers only 1800 made it.*

Colonel Robert F. Sink was the first and only commander of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment during World War Two. He had raised the regiment in July 1942 and commanded it in the Normandy campaign. He was a tall, straight men with a small moustache. The men in his regiment had a lot of respect for him and called him “Uncle Bob” or “Colonel Bob”. 
Because he had a good relationship with his officers, NCO’s and enlisted men of his beloved regiment, his unit was often named "Five-O-Sink" instead of "Five-O-Six" (506th). First Lieutenant Edward S. Mehosky of the 3rd Battalion remembered Colonel Sink as follows:

"He was tough: both mentally and physically: a good leader of men and able to get his training concepts across. It was Sink who forged the Regiment into what he envisioned it to be: hard hitting, tough, rugged, different, independent... ready to go anywhere, anytime. He knew good leaders. He knew what was going on."**

The paratroopers of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment underwent a tough training at Camp Toccoa, Georgia. The training not only consisted of calisthenics, weapons drill or speed march, but also running up and down nearby Mount Currahee several times a day. 

During their stay in Toccoa the 506th Regiment adopted the name ‘Currahee’ and it also became their battlecry. The word ‘Currahee’ comes from the Cheyenne language and means “stand alone together”. The regimental badge was based on Mount Currahee.
First Sergeant David “Buck” Rogers was a member of the original cadre of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment:

“My full name is David Malone Rogers, however, I joined the US Army in 1935 using my nickname "Buster". I appear on all Army rosters and records as Buster Rogers 6262210. I picked up another nickname "Buck" after becoming a paratrooper. Every one in my Regiment called me by this nickname. In the WWII 506 scrapbook Currahee, my picture is captioned !st Sergeant Buck Rogers. I aquired my first nickname when a very small child. Every one called me Buster so when I joined the Army that was the name I used.

After the Germans used parachute troops in WWII, the US Army decided to organize and train an experimental parachute unit. I was at that time a member of the 23rd Infantry Regiment stationed in Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio Texas. I volunteered and was accepted in October 1940 for the 501st parachute battalion. The Battalion was formed at Fort Benning Georgia and I arrived there about November 11, 1940. This Battalion was sent to the Panama Canal Zone in July 1941. We were there at the time of the Pearl Harbor attack.

In June 1942, I returned to the States as part of a cadre to form the 506th Parachute Regiment. I was assigned as first sergeant of Headquarters Company, First Battalion 506th PIR. I was 28 years of age when we made the Holland jump”

In November 1942 the regiment left Camp Toccoa and went by train to Fort Benning, Georgia, to commence with the parachute training. The 2nd Battalion of Lieutenant Colonel Robert L. Strayer however, was assigned by Colonel Sink to break the world record for marching 100 miles in seventy-two hours that was held by a Japanese Army Battalion.

At 07.00 hours on the 1st of December 1942 the 2nd Battalion left Camp Toccoa walking 118 miles over unpaved roads and highways to Atlanta in only 75 hours. Only 12 men of the 586 officers and enlisted men failed to complete the march. A new world record had been set.***

On 5 September 1943 the 506th boarded the troopship S.S. Samaria and arrived ten days later in Liverpool. In England the training continued and more jumps followed, while reinforcements arrived from the States. One of these men was 2nd Lieutenant Lynn D. Compton. Known to everyone as “Buck”, he was assigned to Easy Company in December 1943.  
The Normandy campaign had been tough for the 506th. Lieutenant Colonels Billy Turner and Robert Wolverton had been killed. Major Robert Grant, executive officer of the 3rd Battalion, and Lieutenant Thomas Meehan III, the company commander of Easy Company, were two of the 868 men who had been killed or had died of their wounds. ***

Sergeant John N. Boitano had served as radio operator in Lieutenant Heber L. Minton’s 3rd Platoon of Captain Clovis Y. Tollett’s B Company of the 1st Battalion in Normandy: 

“B Company had a bad time in Normandy. On the second day Lieutenant Minton said he needed a scout. From St. Comb Du Mont we were asked to make contact with the heroes coming up the beach! Nobody even looked at him when he said it. I was a Corporal at that time and the Platoon's radio operator. So I said: "I will do it, about 5-6 miles maybe." 

So I started [to move] out, saying goodbye to my ass in the meantime. I was in an open field with the bunch behind when I got shot at. Bang! I hit the ground, just like we had practiced. But when to get up? 
Lieutenant Minton said: "Let's get going Boitano!" I did. I rounded a big post at a gateway and there was my first Kraut all bloody as hell. We looked at each other up close. He said: "No shoot, me Polski". I didn't kill him. I left him for the others to get a scare like I got, ha!

Well, we made contact with the others at Pouppeville. The town was the bloodiest place I had seen. The 501st had caught the Krauts in their holes on a flank attack. It looked like everyone got a head shot!!”

When the Regiment returned in England on 12 July 1944 via the port of Southampton and arrived in Aldbourne and Ramsbury the next day, the regiment received two weeks furlough and replacements were being brought in to rebuild the strength of the regiment. 

Private James S. "Jim" McCoy served in the Headquarters Company of the 3rd Battalion. He remembered that he first learned about Operation Market Garden “at our briefing in England on 16 September 1944.” The mission of his battalion was to “secure the city of Eindhoven, Holland. I was in Headquarters Company, 3rd Battalion. I was a light machine gunner.”

On the eve of Operation Market Garden the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment numbered 2610 men: 181 officers and 2429 enlisted men. 

Easy Company
I will describe two companies more detailed: Easy Company, famous after the publication of the late Stephen Ambrose's book "Band of Brothers", and Fox Company, which was almost everywhere where Easy Company fought.
Easy Company, commanded by the tough and respected Captain Richard D. Winters, received several replacements in the Summer of 1944 to replace the many men that were killed or wounded in Normandy. One of them was the 19 years old Private Lester A. Hashey:

“I joined the paratroops in 1943. I was in the 1st Platoon, 4th Squad. The briefing took place in Albourne, England and the mission was to capture the bridge over the Wilhelmina Canal.”

His Squadleaders were Sergeant Warren H. Muck and Private First Class Alex M. Penkala Jr, both were original members of Easy Company. All the other enlisted men in the small squad of ten men were replacements. Hashey and his comrades looked up to Muck and Penkala, as “they had been in Normandy”.

Staff Sergeant William “Wild Bill” Guarnere was one of the original members of the Company and had joined the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment in July 1942. He was the Platoonsergeant in the 2nd Platoon of Lieutenant Lynn D. “Buck” Compton. On D-Day he had taken part in the assault on the German battery at Brécourt Manor, near Le Grand-Chemin. For his part in this action he received the Silver Star. 
Guarnere remembered later of the briefing on Operation Market Garden:

“Our objective was the bridge over Wilhelmina Canal. The British forces were to come up fast and furious. I have no recollection of any sandtable or model - used for Market Garden.”

Lieutenant Lynn “Buck” Compton was 22 years old in September 1944. He had joined Easy Company while they were in England, December 1943. Jumping in daylight instead of at night was “fine”, as it would be “much easier than [at] night.”

Staff Sergeant Don G. Malarkey served also in the 2nd Platoon and was a good friend of both Guarnere and Compton. He had joined Easy Company in August 1942. In September 1944 he was 23 years old. He recalled of the briefing:

“We were to drop north of Zon with the 82nd south of the Waal. Briefing occured at Uppotery Airport. The massive force was to reach us in 24 hours.”

Staff Sergeant Amos “Buck” Taylor was also one of the orginal members of Easy Company and served as Platoon Sergeant in the 3rd Platoon:

“As I told Ambrose ten years ago, when he asked about my experiences with Easy Company, I had put that time behind me and had little memory of many the details of our experiences even though I went through the entire period from 1942 - 1945 with "Easy."  

Since then our group discussions with him as he gathered notes, and later with HBO preparing the script, helped me bring back some memories of events long forgotten. I still have a problem connecting places (locations) with specific actions. I remember advances and fights but cannot connect them with where we were at the time. 

This is not unusual since we were on the move often and unless there was some unusual land mark it was just another battle. Eindhoven of course was different.

Our track record with officers was not good. We had no officer with the Third Platoon all through Normandy. Our officer, [2nd] Lt. [Robert L.] Matthews was KIA D-day and [Staff Sergeant] Carwood Lipton took charge. When he took over as First Sergeant in Normandy [Captain] Winters told me to take over the Third Platoon.

When we jumped on 17 September I was age 23. I was a Staff Sergeant during our Holland operation. I was the Platoon Sergeant of the Third Platoon.”

A few men distinguished themselves exceptionally, like 1st Lieutenant Richard D. Winters, 2nd Lieutenant Compton, Sergeant William “Wild Bill” Guarnere, Private First Class Donald Malarkey and several other men of Easy Company on 6 June 1944, when they put a German battery of four 105mm guns out of action at Brécourt Manor near the village of Le Grand-Chemin. The battery was discovered on the morning of D-Day and had to be put out of action. 

Winters had no more than 12 men for this task and was later helped by some men of Dog Company, led by 2nd Lieutenant Ronald Speirs and Sergeant Julius “Rusty” Houck from Fox Company. For this action Winters was recommended for the Medal of Honour. He eventually received a Distinghuised Service Cross, as Lieutenant-Colonel Robert G. Cole of the 502nd had already received a Medal of Honour. Lieutenant Buck Compton and Sergeants Bill Guarnere and Donald Malarkey took also part in the action and received and received two Silver Stars and a Bronze Star. 

Easy Company’s participation in the capture of the town of Carentan on 12 June 1944 was the next important action of the company, in which other companies of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment and other units of the 101st Airborne Division were also involved. 

Fox Company
On Membury Airfield Fox Company of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment prepared themselves for the coming battle. The company had lost 16 men in Normandy, killed, wounded or prisoners of war, and replacements were assigned in July and August 1944 to restore the strength. 
One of those replacements was 1st Lieutenant Herbert A. Eggie: 

"I went to parachute training at Fort Benning, Georgia sometime about May or June 1943. At that time I was a 2nd Lieutenant. I was assigned to the 541st Parachute Infantry at Camp Mackall, North Carolina about October 1943. 

I was sent to England in June 1944 and assigned to the 506th PIR, 101st Airborne Division. I arrived at the base shortly before the division returned from the Normandy operation. I did not participate in that operation."

Nineteen years old 2nd Lieutenant Robert E. Perdue Jr. from Pittsville, Pennsylvania, was one of the other officers who were assigned to Fox Company in the Summer of 1944. He had joined the army in February 1943 and was trained as an artillery officer and assigned to an anti-aircraft battalion. In early 1944 it appeared that there was a surplus of anti-aircraft officers and Lieutenant Perdue Jr. was transferred to an infantry training battalion at Fort McClellan, Alabama. 

After some time Perdue decided that he wanted to see some real action and volunteered for the paratroops. He made his first parachute jump on D-Day and when he got his jumpwings in July 1944 he went across the Atlantic Ocean aboard of the passengership ‘America’ as a replacement officer with destination England:

“After the ship docked in England, I somehow arrived at the headquarters of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment where I first met Colonel Sink, Regimental Commander and learned I would be assigned to F Company as Assistant Platoon Leader, 2nd Platoon, under Lieutenant Russell Hall. It was my first and last encounter with the Colonel. 

In time I met many other officers and men of the 506 and most of their faces have faded from my memory, but not those of Sink or Hall. The Colonel was tall, slim and straight as an arrow with a small moustache. Hall was a big man with a relatively high-pitched voice. Their faces are so etched in my memory that I would recognize them even now. Lt. Hall, for whom I had great respect, did not survive Market Garden

I don’t recall where headquarters was relative to where I was billeted, but Hall and I shared a room in a private home. I arrived in late July or early August after a trip over in beautiful weather; sometime later it turned damp and colder; the dampness penetrated everything and, at times, I just could not get warm.

I  remember very little of England other than routine training, a one-day trip to London and another one-day Sunday trip to Stratford-on-Avon. I do remember there were on-again-off-again proposed missions. We would go to a marshaling area, a tent city at an airport, be briefed for a mission which would be called off because General Patton or other allied forces had already reached our objective.”%

Twenty-six years old Corporal Ray R. Aebischer was one of the original members of Company ‘F’ of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment and served in the 1st Platoon of 1st Lieutenant William B. Huddelson and Lieutenant Rhodes:

“I was born on a farm in Sherwood, Oregon, about 20 miles west of Portland on January 1918, the youngest of eight children, and the only one to serve in the military in WWII. We moved to Newberg, Oregon in 1922, another small town about seven miles from Sherwood, population 3000. It was here I attended my eight years of elementary school. For High School, I attended a small academy in Greenleaf, Idaho for two years. My junior year, I went to school in Tigard, Oregon while living with my brother Ed and his wife on the old family farm in Sherwood. Having completed the 11th grade, and wanting a change from farming life, I hitch-hiked my way south, arriving in San Francisco in June 1935, with less than $2.00 in my pocket, and one change of underclothes.

Through an employment agency, I secured a job in San Jose on a dairy farm. I continued to work there and in the downtown creamery while attending my senior year of High School. Upon graduation in 1936 from San Jose High School, I continued to work in the milk and ice cream business until receiving greetings from President Roosevelt, stating that I had been selected to serve in the armed forces. 

I can vividly recall the news on Sunday, December 7, 1941, of the attack on Pearl Harbor, as I made the deliveries of milk and ice cream to restaurants and grocery stores. Many men volunteered for military service immediately to get their choice of service, while others looked for jobs in shipyards and other war time related work. Having the feeling that this war wasn’t going to be over in a few days, weeks, or even months, I decided to wait for the inevitable letter to report for duty.”

Ray received a letter in July 1942 and was told to report for a physical exam in San Francisco. A second letter ordered him to report to the induction center in Monterey, California. He was asked to volunteer for one of the branches of the Army:

“While at the induction center in Monterey, California, I volunteered for parachute duty. No one knew much about paratroopers at that time, since it was a new concept for warfare. I was immediately sent to Toccoa, Georgia, where the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment was being formed by a small cadre of Officers and NCO’s. The rest of the Regiment were civilians, now in uniform.”

It was at Camp Toccoa that he was assigned to Captain Thomas P. Mulvey’s Fox Company and rose to the rank of Corporal (E-3). He became a machine gunner in Lieutenant Andrew E. Tuck’s 1st Platoon. His assistant machine gunner, Linus Brown, became one of his best friends. They stayed at Camp Toccoa till December 1942:

“In mid-December 1942, following basic training, we were scheduled to go to Fort Benning, Georgia for jump school. The 2nd Battalion, of which I was part, walked the first 115 miles to Atlanta, Georgia, with full field equipment and weapons, a three day trek in rain and cold, following secondary roads, whenever possible, otherwise we walked along the main highways. The third night, we bivouacked on the shores of silver lake at Oglethorpe University campus. Rising before dawn next morning, we marched down Peachtree Street, to the train station, where we boarded a train for Fort Benning, Georgia.

It was at Fort Benning where we received four weeks of jump training, each man packing his own parachute for the five qualifying jumps. After receiving our parachute wings and a Christmas dinner, we were given leave of absence until after New Year day 1943. Upon return from leave, we moved to Camp Mackall, KC, near Fort Bragg military reservation and Southern Pines, NC. More field training continued here until June when we left for maneuvers in Tennessee.

After two months on maneuvers, it was on to Fort Bragg NC for processing for overseas. Next station, Camp Shanks, MY and boarding troopship in NY harbor. In September 1943, after a 10 day zig-zag, all expense paid cruise across the Atlantic, we arrived in Liverpool, England. The ship was overbooked, so we took turns sleeping, one night on deck, one night below, in hammocks. Meals were served around the clock, 24 hours as day. Everyone was given a mess card, with the time and assigned table number for the two meals served each day. No one knew when or where we would see combat, so training, along with more practice jumps continued until May of ’44, when we were sent to marshalling areas near airports for classified briefings about the upcoming mission.

For the Market Garden operation, I am not certain who our Company Commander and Platoon Commander was. Captain Mulvey, who was our CO in Normandy, had been transferred. We had several lieutenants, but am not certain which one was the CO. First Lieutenants were Tuck, Rhodes, McFadden, Huddelson.

I was in the First Platoon of Fox Company throughout the war. I think I was in second squad, but not sure. I think our Platoonsergeant was Staff Sergeant Vincent Occhipinti, but I am not certain. There was also Sergeant Robert B. Vogel and Sergeant Gordon B. Mather. It could have been any one of the three. On the other hand, I could be completely off base, so to speak. I don't remember much about the briefings personally.”

Aebischers first action came on 6 June 1944 when he jumped with the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment above Normandy. He landed in the courtyard of the church of St. Mere Eglise: 

“The church bells were constantly ringing, drowning out any hopes of communicating with other members of my unit. Not seeing any movement in the moonlight by any person, friend or enemy, I felt very much alone. Trying the church door, I found it locked. Not wanting to attract attention or be a living target for some German soldier, I crawled around the church to the rear, then along a high cement wall which surrounded the church grounds.
At the same time, a machine gun was firing down the street. As another wave of friendly aircraft flew over, the machine gun was directed towards the planes. This appeared a good time to make a run for it, so I dashed across the street and into an orchard.

As the planes flew off in the distance, the machine gun began firing down the street again. One man (I don’t know who) whose ‘chute had gotten caught high in the trees in the church yard, was hanging there lifeless. He had either been shot while descending or upon being trapped in the tree. In the moonlight, I could see another trooper, still in his parachute, lying on the street, obviously caught in the gun fire, no movement, no sound for help.

As it was urgent to get on with the mission assigned, my only thought for the moment was how to defend myself against an enemy soldier without any weapon but this one trench knife. I kept a firm grip on it, realizing that I would have to be quick to survive. I did not know at this time in what town I had landed, but later learned it was St. Mere Eglise, some distance from our objective.”

Around him fellow paratroopers were killed on the ground, or while they were still in the air. He later managed to rejoin his company in the evening of the 6th of June, learning that Richard Buchter, Sergeant Julius “Rusty” Houck, 1st Lieutenant Freeling T. Colt and Private John Supco had been killed.

The company commander of Company ‘F’, Captain Thomas P. Mulvey, was wounded during the fighting in Normandy and relieved from command when he ordered his company to fall back at Carentan. The executive officer, 1st Lieutenant Frank J. McFadden, would lead the company during Operation Market Garden. 

Ray’s old platooncommander of the 1st Platoon, 1st Lieutenant Andrew E. Tuck III, would act as executive officer. In one of his first letters to his father after returning from Normandy he wrote on July 21, 1944:

“Back again to “Merry Old England” and strangely enough, happy about it. It hurts a little to see the empty beds, but according to plan, proceeded last night, to get drunk as hell in their honor. You probably remember me speaking of Freeling Colt - hated to lose him. Never knew a finer man.
The Regiment has been decorated with the Presidential Unit Citation (comparable to the DSC for each man.) We are very proud of that....I’ve been offered a chance to stay in the service.  If I did, it would have to be the Airborne or not at all. Maybe I’d try to transfer to the Marines after the war.”

On the 10th of September 1944, exactly one week before he would fly to the Netherlands, Tuck wrote in a letter to his mother:

“We’re enjoying a lovely St. Martin’s summer just now - and all the world seems to slumber....Enclosed is a snapshot of Staff Sgt. “Black Jack” Borden, who conducted himself in exemplary fashion throughout the various engagements. He once held a town with only seven men for better than a score of hours (an ex-boot legger)....I don’t know that I have mentioned it before - but I am now Company F’s second-in-command (Executive Officer). The troops look fine in spite of many discrepancies.” 

In the same platoon as Ray Aebischer served Private First Class William “Bill” M. True II. Bill was like Ray one of the first members of Fox Company and joined the company in August 1942. He had taken part in the combat actions of Fox Company in Normandy and served as a rifleman/mortarman in the Mortar Squad of the 1st Platoon:

“I joined the 506 P.I.R. in August, 1942, during its formation period in Toccoa, Georgia. I was 20 years old in September, 1944. I was a Private First Class, rifleman and mortarman, in the Mortar Squad of the 1st Platoon of F Company. Johnny Jackson, Joe Flick and Alvin "Blackie" Wilson had been with me from our basic training days in Toccoa, Georgia, and they are the only three I recall jumping with our stick in Holland. Charles R. Malley was our First Sergeant, and Joseph D. Droogan was our company medic. 

We were briefed at our marshalling area at an airfield in Southern England.  I don't recall much of this briefing, but I know it was significantly less extensive than that for the Normandy invasion on D-Day.”

Private First Class Jesse G. Orosco joined Fox Company in April 1943 and was assigned as a rifleman to the 3rd Squad of the 1st Platoon. He was one of the oldest members of the company: 29 years old. He was briefed “near the airfield in England early September [1944]. We were told where we would land and to get out of there as soon as possible because the Germans may have known about the landing.”

Staff Sergeant John H.Taylor, no relative of Staff Sergeant Amos “Buck” Taylor in Easy Company, was a squad leader in the 2nd Platoon and recalled of the briefing on Operation Market Garden:

“I was squad leader of the 1st Squad, Second Platoon, Fox Company, Second Battalion, 506th Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division! My Regiment, the 506th, was to be dropped near the town of Son. Our particular task was to secure the Wilhelmina Canal bridge there, then drive on south, take the city of Eindhoven (population 110.000) and connect up with the British Second Army which was to be moving up from the south.
It was decided that a path would be cleared on the Dutch highway starting at the city of Eindhoven, and extending 54 miles north to the city of Arnhem. Arnhem was close to the flat, northern plains of Germany, and was viewed as a good jumping off point for the Allies to move east to Berlin.
In order to get to Arnhem from Eindhoven on this highway, the British Second Army would have to cross a series of rivers which were spanned by highway bridges. German destruction of these bridges would bottleneck the advance and had to be prevented. Allied control of these crosspoints, therefore, was critical. That was the job of the paratroopers, and required the launch of the largest airborne operation in history.”

Sergeant Roy A. Zerbe served as a squad leader in the 3rd Platoon of Fox Company: 

“I graduaded from High School in May 1942 and joined the Army on August 19 1942. I was sent to Camp Toccoa on August 29 where the 506 Para Infantry was being activated. So I was one of the original group and I was the youngest in Company F. I was 18 years old in 1942 and so in 1944 I was 20 years old. I was briefed on Operation Market Garden by Lieutenant Eggie, our [assistant] platoon leader.”

On 15 September 1944 Colonel Sink’s regiment was closed in at staging areas near the airfields from where the regiment would take off on the 17th. That day the officers of the regiment were briefed on the operation and a day later the enlisted men heard about the objectives and their destination. Lieutenant Eggie remembered in September 1945@:

“It was the evening before the combat jump into Holland. The Officers of Company 'F', 506th Parachute Infantry, sat in their tents in the staging area joking and talking of many things. Their spirits were eager, their morale high, their confidence in the success of the coming operation was complete.

The talk turned to the chance of coming out of the action alive. It was a subject constantly on the minds of all but rarely mentioned. When it was mentioned, it was usually as a friendly jibe or a nervous joke. The matter was being discussed seriously by the company officers. First Lieutenant Raymond G. Schmitz was Platoon Leader of the Third Platoon.$ I was the Assistant Platoon Leader

Lt. Schmitz expressed the firm belief that if he prayed regularly and he had complete faith in the protective qualities of God, he could not be harmed. Lt. Schmitz was a Catholic. He attended church regularly each evening that we were in the staging area. Just before we went to sleep, he would read from his religious books by the light of a flashlight. Lt. Schmitz was fervent in his prayers and ardent in the belief that God was his protection. He said so. He told us all that evening that he was free of fear of death because he knew that he was coming back. He reasoned that all his life he had been a good Christian.

First Lieutenant  McFadden, our Company Commander,  took issue with Lt. Schmitz. Do you mean to say "Little Mac" (as we called Lt. McFadden) had queried that if you run into a machine gun burst that you will come out of it alive just because of your belief in God? "Yes", Schmitz had replied, somewhat annoyed at Little Mac’s disbelief "I believe that God will protect me".

That night Lt. Schmitz went to Mass. That night again he read from his books by the light of a flashlight. This was the night of September 16, 1944. At noon on 22nd of September 1944, six days later, Lt. Schmitz lay dead in a ditch by the side of the road leading out of Veghel, Holland on the road to Uden. I did not see Lt. Schmitz after he died. I did see him about a minute and a half before he expired. I shall remember that moment forever.”

*: Ambrose, “Band of Brothers”, page 18.
**: Letter from Edward Mehosky to the author via the e-mailaddress of his son Ivan, 21 January 2001.
***:  Rapport & Northwood, “Rendezvous with Destiny”, page
@: Lieutenant Herbert A. Eggie, “Just Before They Died”, September 1945. This account was kindly provided by Lieutenant Eggie to the author.
$: Lieutenant Schmitz had been a platooncommander in Easy Company in June 1944. He challenged 1st Lieutenant Richard D. Winters for a boxing match and ended up in the hospital with two cracked vertebrae (Ambrose, “Band of Brothers”, pages 64-65). The assistant platooncommander, 2nd Lieutenant Robert L. Matthews, was killed in Normandy. Staff Sergeant Amos Taylor wrote in an e-mail to the author, 4th July 2002: “Our officer, Lt. Matthews was KIA D-day and [Staff Sergeant] Carwood Lipton took charge.”

%: Lieutenant Robert E. Perdue Jr., “Letter from Grandad”, 15 november 2001. All further quotations of Lieutenant Perdue are from this source. Lieutenant Perdue’s name is printed bold, as in many other books his name was always spelled as ‘Pardue’ instead of ‘Perdue’.

©2004 by Frank van Lunteren

成也拉姆,败也拉姆!让人又爱又狠的左后卫!
莱曼你还是早点退休吧!

点击查看用户来源及管理<br>发贴IP:*.*.*.* 2009-1-21 21:00:41

本主题贴数1,分页: [1]

管理选项锁定 | 解锁 | 提升 | 删除 | 移动 | 固顶 | 总固顶 | 奖励 | 惩罚 | 发布公告